Student health and insurance

student health image


Nord University strongly encourages all international students to obtain private travel, health and accident insurance prior to arrival in Norway, regardless of the level of public medical cover for which you are eligible in Norway. 

Read more about insurance​


Some international visitors are eligible for medical care equivalent to Norwegian citizens (see below). However, you will still be required to pay a fee for visits to the GP, blood tests, hospital stays and other medical services. The fee depends on the type and level of service. Obtaining extensive travel, health and accident insurance is the best way to avoid large medical bills.

Adventure sports

Norway is the perfect setting for adventure sports. Speak to your insurance provider if you plan on participating in extreme sports and ensure that you are covered in the event of an accident.


Right to medical care

Members of the National Insurance Scheme, citizens of EEA states and passport holders from countries that have reciprocal health care agreements with Norway are entitled to the same level of health care as Norwegian citizens.

If you are covered by the National Insurance Scheme or other arrangement, you will still be liable to pay a fee for visits to the GP and for other health services.  Fees depend on the type and level of service provided, but range from hundreds to thousands of kroner.

National Insurance Scheme Membership
There are various criteria for eligibility to membership in this scheme. Read more on the website for the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration (NAV).

EEA states and Switzerland
Remember to obtain your European Health Care Card​ before your visit.

Reciprocal health care agreements
Contact your national health provider to ask about access to health care in Norway.

Local health clinics

Public health clinics located in Bodø, Levanger and Steinkjer provide free, drop-in consultations for students. The public health clinic can provide guidance regarding sexuality, contraception and sexually transmitted diseases. The clinic also offers medical services and can issue prescriptions.

More information about the services in each study location is available under "Student in Bodø", "Student in Levanger" and "Student in Steinkjer.


Studying can be stressful, especially for students who are a long way from home.

Student counsellors

Studentinord (the student welfare association) provides counsellors to assist with: 

  • Concentration difficulties
  • Lack of confidence
  • Family and relationship counselling
  • Feelings of loneliness and homesickness
  • Practical challenges, such as applications to public departments
  • Information about social rights

All consultations are confidential
This service is free of charge.

Ingvild Kirkhus
Room A101 (left at Entrance A)
T: 473 89 111

Sissel Rian
Room 122-A in E Building
T: 450 49 882

Kirsti Grøtan
First floor, Nylåna
T: 411 45 667

Detailed information about counselling at each study location:

Student priest

At Nord University Bodø, a student p​riest is also available to offer guidance to students regardless of beliefs or worldview. You can talk to the student priest about life difficulties, as well as existential and spiritual questions.


Svein Valle
Room A102 (left at Entrance A) Nord Bodø 

Student health fund

What is it?

As a student at Nord University, you are automatically a member of the Student Health Fund. You may apply to the Student Health Fund for help to pay medical bills that are not covered by the public health service, including dentist fees, physiotherapy, sight tests etc.

How does it work?

In most cases, you must have incurred fees in an amount of NOK 1500,- or more.

Students who have incurred significant medical fees are eligible to apply to have 50 % of the total amount paid out of the Student Health Fund.

You must pay the entire bill yourself first. Afterwards, you can apply to have funds returned to you from the fund.

Contact Studentinord for more information and application forms.

Remember to keep the receipt, because without it, you will not get your money back.

Compulsory health checks - tuberculosis (MRSA)

Tuberculosis screening

Residents of countries outside of the EU/EEA, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Japan must take a tuberculosis test and chest x-ray upon arrival in Norway. The health check is free of charge. Nord University arranges appointments with the local health clinic. If you belong to this group, ensure that you bring a valid vaccination record with you to Norway.

MRSA screening for clinical practice

If you are participating in clinical practice at a health care institution in Norway, you must be screened for MRSA . If you choose to take the test in your home country, it must not be more than two weeks old and you must not have entered a hospital following the screening.


Student injury / incident

What happens if you are involved in an accident and become either totally or partially disabled?

The answer depends on where and when the injury/incident occurred, your residency status in Norway, and which private insurance you have.

More information about insurance​

International students are strongly encouraged to obtain comprehensive insurance prior to travelling to Norway. For more information about your rights and responsibilities in relation to injury and compensation contact the International Office or your faculty.​