Student exchange to Nord University

Northern Lights
This page contains information for exchange students who have been nominated by a home institution that has an agreement with Nord university and/or is member of the same exchange programmes as Nord, such as Erasmus+, north2north or Barents plus.

Application process

  1. The student must be nominated by their home institution through an electronic form
  2. Upon nomination the student will receive an invitation to apply online by email from Nord University. 
  3. Use Nord University's online application form to apply
  4. Exchange students will receive their result of admission within 4 – 6 weeks after the admission period has ended
  5. The student will receive practical information about studying at Nord University and preparing for their stay in Norway by email only.

Letter of admission:

If the application is successful, the student will receive a Letter of admission 4 – 6 weeks after the application period has ended. This document must be used when applying for study permit for students outside EU/EEA. 

NOTE: Exchange students will be invited by email to fill in the online application shortly after the nomination from their home institution. Please be aware that some email addresses, particularly Hotmail,  have very efficient firewall. Some students never receive the email invitation to apply online. If you don't receive the invitation within one week from Nord University, please contact our international office at  

Admission requirements and study permit

Required documents for students:

Copy of Passport/ID card (encrypted)

Learning Agreement (For Erasmus+ students only)

Official Transcript of records from home institution (encrypted)

These must be sent to after submitting the application.

Language proficiency requirements:

Have a good command of English, B1 or B2 depending on the exchange agreement between Nord University and your home institution, and in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).

Certificate for English proficiency is not required.

Study permit and study load:

EU/EEA students do not have to apply for a residence permit, but do have to register with the Police if staying in Norway for more than 3 months.

If you come from a non EU/ EEA country you need a visa/or a residence permit. You are advised to contact the Norwegian Embassy or Consulate General in your home country for information on procedures or check the webpage of the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration. For the visa/or a residence permit you need the admission letter from Nord Universityr. There is a fee connected to the visa process.

PLEASE NOTE: If you are a citizen of one of the countries on this list you can apply for visa (as soon as possible) after your arrival to Norway. If your nationality is not on the list, you need to apply for visa to Norway from your home country.

The processing time for study permit for non-EU/EEA citizen is 2-3 months.

Full time studies are 30 ECTS per semester in Norway.

International programmes and courses

A semester package comprises a pre-defined group of courses targeted at exchange students studying within a given field.

Use the overview of our English study offers  to get an idea of which courses you would like to study at Nord University.

 Course descriptions provide information about:

  • Academic content
  • Mode of delivery (face-to-face/online/combined)
  • Course literature
  • Prerequisites
  • Responsible faculty

If you have questions about academic content, teaching modes or course structure, please contact the study advisors at the relevant faculty.

You can only choose courses from one of our study locations as there is a long distance between the locations.

Exchange periods are maximum of two (2) consecutive semesters.

After admission

StudentiNord is a welfare organisation for students at Nord University and offers services within housing, food and beverage, kindergartens, health, counselling, book shop and more for students on campus.

Exchange students spending one semester at  Nord University sign semester long contracts. One month rent as deposit and cleaning deposit must be paid before arriving to their study location.

You may pay a non-refundable fee to rent kitchen utensils and bed linens.


Although Nord University mainly accepts exchange from partner institutions, we also handle requests from students who are enrolled at other institutions. 

If you are applying as a free mover, send an e-mail to (Admissions Office) and we will send you an application form. 

Free movers must apply for student housing through the student welfare organisation, StudentiNord.

To apply, students must be registered at a higher education institution. Upon successful application, a candidate may study at Nord University for up to two (2) semesters.

Please note that the application deadlines for free movers are: Sping semester: October 1st, autumn semester: April 1st.

Online application form

Application deadlines for exchange students

April 15 - autumn semester
October 1 - spring semester

FAQ about admission

International Office

Phone: +47 75 51 78 70
Study locations open for exchange students

Nord's programme memberships