Re-sit an examination

In most cases, you can re-sit an examination. See which rules apply to you.

Nord University will arrange new examinations for students who received a failing grade at the last ordinary examination or students with approved absence at the last ordinary examination. 

The new exam will usually be ​held in the following semester. Dates will be announced in Studentweb in September/January, or no later than two weeks before the exam. 

The date for a supplementary examination is published in StudentWeb at the beginning of the semester, or no later than 14 days before the examination.

Who can re-sit an examination?

According to Regulations relating to Studies and Examinations, the following students can take a supplementary examination (re-sit): 

  • Students who received a failing grade (F/did not pass) at the last ordinary examination
  • Students with approved absence at the last ordinary examination
  • Students who broke off the ordinary examination, students who want to improve their grade or students who did not sit the examination will be entitled to a new examination if it is arranged.
  • ​Candidates who withdraw from the ordinary examination do not have access to a new examination. The next exam attempt will be the next ordinary exam.​

How to register for a supplementary examination

Please note that some resit exams are held before the ordinary examination period. It is therefore important that you regularly check Studentweb for current exam dates.

The student registers for a supplementary examination in Studentweb after the semester fee has been paid and within the registration deadline

  • Search for the course under Active courses. Register for exam by clicking the "Register for exams​" button.


  • Find the course in your education plan the semester you first sat the exam, and choose "Resit course". ​​

    Please note! The status "Failure to attend" on the ordinary exam may cause that you will be unable to register for re-sit exam. In that case send an e-mail to for assistance.

Number of examination attempts

The maximum number of examination attempts is regulated by regulations §7-5 and regulations §7-8. Section 7-5, subsection 8, and Section 7-8, subsection 2, respectively, apply to supervised professional training and master's theses. Ordinary and supplementary examinations count equally as an attempt.

Fourth attempt: For courses that allow three examination attempts (except candidate's and bachelor's theses) you can apply for a fourth examination attempt.​

Application form for a fourth attempt​ ​​

Fifth attempt: The Student Records and Examinations Office may, on the basis of the application, grant permission for a fifth attempt. The fifth attempt may only be granted if, by passing the examination in the course, the candidate will complete a degree or vocational training at the university. 

Application by e-mail to

Improve your grade after completing your studies/expiring your right to study

It is possible to improve grades after completing studies/expiring the right to study, you can do this by applying for admission to individual subjects. The application deadline for autumn is 1 July and for the spring semester is 15 November.

For international students, please send an e-mail to if you wish to improve your grade after completing your studies.